Friday, April 20, 2012

25 Weeks 0 days

We were able to squeeze another week of S.F. into about 3 hrs.  We had our appt. at 10 am but we arrived about 9am.  We were called back at 9:30!!! Yay!!  After our ultrasound which is getting shorter every week it seems like since they know us so well, we went to the fetal treatment center to go over our results with Dr. Rand and his team.  We had a fourth year medical student join us for our ultrasound and she walked us down to the FTC.

Scott and I were able to determine a few things in our ultrasound before Dr. Rand even started to explain to us our current situation.  Being "experts" in sonography we saw that the DVP or amniotic fluid levels we have been watching closely have remained similar at 10.8 for A and 4.8 for B.  Still too much for A but not concerning at this point.  B is slightly improving over the last few weeks as we have slowly gained from around 2.8 to almost 5.  This is great.  We had nice bladders, stomachs, kidney function.  We also had great dopplers and blood flow through the umbilical cord for each baby which is good.  I think our AA (arterial anastomoses) is doing its job.  They were clearly able to see that this week. YAY!!

The growth discordance is still hovering at around 24%.  Last week it was 28%.  So this is a good sign.  Like I said last week, although >20% is abnormal we have two little girls who are overachievers.  Baby A is 70th percentile for singleton babies and B is 38th percentile for singleton babies.  B has also gained about 150 grams since last week.  Im soooo proud!!LOL.  Baby A weighs in at a whopping 2lbs 0ounces and B weighs in slightly behind at 1lb 8ozs.

We still need to get to a safer gestational age as the next few weeks are critical in terms of gaining weight, lung development etc.  I think making it to 29 weeks will be a bigger sigh of relief for me.  Although Im feeling optimistic making it to 25 weeks I would feel much better at the 30 week mark or even further of course.  It was hard to imagine that 2 months ago I was hoping to make it this far.  Im reaching for the stars now.  We still continue to go to UCSF next week and then depending on our numbers we may "graduate" to biweekly appts at UCSF.  Since surgery after next week is not a possibility and I have been stable they feel it would be ok to go to bi-weekly.  This makes me very nervous yet happy at the same time.  Im feeling uneasy about leaving my safety net at UCSF.  I feel they are wonderful and know me better than anyone.  I feel they have all the resources to take phenomenal care of my girls.  Sutter is great don't get me wrong but they have not been following my care other than monthly since UCSF took over my weekly appts.  Sutter has the resources to care for preemies but Im scared that they may miss something that UCSF would pick up on being experts in this particular condition.

I have voiced my concern over the perinatologist that I was seeing before S.F took over my care and Dr. Rand was able to call Sutter and get me an appt in May with the doctor he and I both prefer.  I am willing to drive to Sacramento to see her.  Easy peasy compared to driving to S.F. right?

I was told by Dr. Rand yesterday that this pregnancy will not be allowed to continue past 35 weeks.  So, I am guaranteed to be delivered on or around June 30 if everything goes smoothly.  Yikes!! Seems so early compared to 41 weeks with Cole.  But making it to 35 weeks will be awesome considering a few months ago I nearly had TTTS.  Baby B still has a smaller share of the placenta and most likely will at some point require more than it is willing go give her.  We must watch this closely to determine the point where nourishment and oxygen in the NICU will outweigh the amount my placenta is giving her.  Since Placentas are fixed and don't grow with the baby, she will demand more and more as she grows.  Hopefully the AA we found will help to remedy her needs for more but this is not a guarantee.  So, we watch and see...... more waiting.....more waiting.....ugh.. but no news is good news!!

So from here on out I am off work and trying to rest as much as I can to fatten the girls up because 1 day inside of me equals 3 less days in the NICU.  Keep the prayers and wishes coming as they are working!!

No comments:

Post a Comment