Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Hospital Visit 23 Weeks 4 Days

We enjoyed a view of Room 13 last night at Sutter L&D from about 4pm to 10 pm.  I was sent to L&D by my primary OB for some testing as I was having some dis concerning symptoms.  On Monday night I began to feel some contractions and  some shortness of breath that I thought was not normal.  I am pregnant with twins and getting bigger everyday as I am sure some shortness of breath is common.  Same with Braxton Hicks contractions.  The issue was that I was short of breath just having a normal conversation.  I felt like my 2 year old was sitting on my chest and I needed to take a deep breath every few sentences and all I was doing was talking.  Also, combined with the contractions I was worried about the girls and specifically Baby A and her polyhydramnios ( excessive fluid).  I was worried that it may have gotten worse and this was causing contractions and pushing on my lungs.  I wanted to get checked out just to make sure everything was okay.

I called my regular OB the morning after the incident.  She was not available in the morning as she usually has her scheduled C sections at this time.  her assistant told me I could come in at 2:45 or if I was having contractions I should just go to L&D.  I was no longer feeling any of the contractions so I thought going to L&D was unnecessary.  I also was not at work because I though i would need to get in first thing in the am.  So, I decided to just tell her assistant to have her call me and we could discuss it over the phone.  I went to work and figured things were ok.  I was talking with a co-worker and he was noticing that I was short of breath.  He was like "sarah, you need to call your doctor."  I said I did and was waiting to hear back.  After some prodding from co-workers I decided to call UCSF and let them know what was going on.  I figured if they thought it was serious enough they (being the experts) would tell me what I should do.  They told me to be seen for sure either by my high risk perinatologist or my primary OB.  I took the advice and called Dr. Veille who is my high risk Dr. here on Roseville.  I informed the front desk person of my symptoms and she went to tell the Dr. and put me on hold.  She then returned to tell me that Dr. Veille said if I was having shortness of breath that I needed to go to the ER.  The ER, Really??? Come on now!! For those of you who know me well would know I will not do that .  Plus if you are over 20weeks pregnant the ER looks at you like a leper and sends you to L&D first chance they get.  I decided to call Dr. Juhn (primary OB) back and ask for the 2:45 appt I was offered this morning.  I was able to get it and was much more inclined to do that than go to the ER where they know nothing about me and my situation.

Needless to say after talking to all my Dr.s who apparently don't talk to each other and I constantly play middle man. I end up in L&D anyway.  My primary OB was concerned about my shortness of breath while at rest and the contractions.  I was sent to L&D for a 12 Lead EKG, Doppler ultrasound on my legs to determine if I had a blood clot (which can cause shortness of breath), and to monitor contractions, HR, and movement of the girls.  After 6hrs in L&D and all my test were complete I was told I could go home and we had no answers to my symptoms.  It is possible that it is stress and anxiety related.  maybe I push myself a little too much or just everything that has been going on is getting to me and my body is saying "whoa" time to slow down and take it easy. 

After battling with the bed rest vs. non bed rest issue for a week I think this incident was the icing on the cake.  I don't think I need to strap myself to a bed but Im thinking at home rest might be a better option.  The health of my girls is top priority.  I am going to S.F tomorrow and after I talk more with them and get this weeks ultrasound results I will have a more clear picture of what I need to do I think.  Hopefully we will continue on the path we have been on for the last 6 weeks.  These next few weeks seem so crucial.  Being born at 25 weeks vs. 29 weeks seems to have a huge impact statistically on survivability and health.  Im hoping and praying the next 6 weeks pass quickly and uneventfully.  I know with twins visits to L&D like the one last night are more common but I would like to avoid that if possible. 

Hope everyone had a good Easter.  We enjoyed a lovely Brunch and egg hunt at Michelle and Jeremy Lawson's house. Cole got lots of goodies and was spoiled with love and treats. 

I will let you know how our appt goes tomorrow.  keep those Prayers coming. We sure appreciate the love and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment