Saturday, May 5, 2012

27 weeks 1 day

The survival rate for babies born at this gestation is 85%!! That is pretty good odds.  I would obviously like to push this out to 35 weeks but everyday that passes with healthy babies is better and better odds.

I went to my first doctor appt with High Risk Maternal Fetal medicine Dr. Chyu since about 9 weeks ago.  I have been lucky enough to be seen with great care in San Francisco and have now graduated to be able to be seen in Sacramento.  I also had my monthly appt with my regular OB yesterday as well.  We got great news with respect to the girls.  They are still about 25 % difference in size but both gaining weight steadily and are even above the curve for weight.  Baby A was 2 lbs 11 ounces and Baby B was 2 lbs 1ounce.  The fluid for each baby was pretty similar and even slightly better at about 8cm and 5cm respectively.  These are great numbers.  The dopplers "couldn't be better" according to Dr. Chyu.  This is so relieving.

 I obviously left this appt feeling optimistic and in good spirits.  It also seems a little bittersweet because although I have been extremely blessed, I have been following and chatting with fellow women in somewhat similar situations who have not been so lucky.  I have been corresponding with a mom in Canada who is the exact same gestation as myself with Mono/Di twin boys.  She also had an ultrasound for her boys the day I had mine.  She had been doing well and had some pretty good ultrasounds but at her appt was given the devastating news that her recipient twin no longer had a heartbeat.  This crushed me.  Mostly because I can understand a little bit what she must be feeling. I obviously cannot really understand but having followed her story and knowing the risks I just feel terrible for her.  She has a great outlook and is staying strong for her survivor.  Please say a little prayer for her angel and her survivor that they are able to get some peace and bring a healthy baby into the world soon.

These type of stories are so hard to hear about but definitely help me to advocate for my girls and to push my doctors to see me VERY often to hopefully prevent something like this from happening.  Acute TTTS is always a possibility and something I want to avoid.  Dr.Chyu at first said I did not need to come back for a month???? A MONTH??? Are you crazy?  Im not going from weekly to monthly?  I responded that UCSF recommended at least bi weekly  for growth but that I would like to be seen weekly to check Fluid levels.  I didn't think that was too much to ask and she agreed pretty easily that it was something i could do. Phew!!! Im usually not one to question the doctors too much but after hearing stories like the one above and others where healthy 5/6 lb twins didn't make it from acute TTTS I want to be on the safe side.

I think I have a few things on my side and the doctors feel optimistic that acute TTTS won't be something I will encounter. Mainly because I have never been in stage 1 TTTS or had an treatment. BUT, it doesn't mean it cannot happen. So, for my peace of mind I will be in there weekly to make sure I do all in my power to prevent it or get the girls delivered if things are not going well.  If I have any abnormal dopplers I will be delivered right away so as far as I am concerned it is something to check weekly.

My regular OB is great and she is definitely open to my concerns and isn't too proud to take the advice of the experts when it comes to what needs to be done for me.  She will deliver me at 35-36 weeks as UCSF recommends at the latest because the placenta is likely to deteriorate after this point and the girls are safer out than in.  She also is going to start Non-stress tests weekly or twice weekly] at 32 weeks to make sure the girls are not in distress.

I feel the more I am at the Dr. the less stress I feel and the more at ease I am.  Scott was pretty happy I said something about not waiting a month to be seen because he knows how much of a basket case I would be if I had to wait that long to make sure everything is ok.

I feel very blessed and thank god everyday that I am still in a good place and that I can feel two little girls growing and kicking everyday.  I have never been happier to be this uncomfortable and I will do it as long as it takes.  So, now I just continue to make appts and go to the Dr.  It is weird to think I will have these girls in less than 2 months from now.  I have one more appt in San Francisco mainly for my piece of mind and they have been gracious enough to let me come back even though they don't think it is necessary if all is going well here.  But I think I need it for my sanity more than anything.  Also, I need to pick up the placenta box so I can send it to them and get results as to what the share looked like between the girls.

That's pretty much how things have been going in the last week and I continue to try to rest and relax as much as possible.  It is definitely hard for me to do more than about 1 errand a day which is fine because it gives me plenty to do during the week because I cannot get it all done in one day.  Thanks to all for the continued prayers.  Please say an extra prayer for those who are in worse situations that myself or are just starting this rough journey.  One can never have too many positive thoughts and prayers.  Have a Happy Mothers day next week.  Spoil all those wonderful Moms who sacrifice everyday for the health and safety of their beautiful children.

No comments:

Post a Comment