Wednesday, May 16, 2012

28 weeks 5 Days

I had my weekly appt today with Dr. Chyu here is Sacramento.  This was my appt where I thought they were going to do growth checks and dopplers since we have been doing them bi weekly since week 16.  However, to my dismay she decided we would do this every 3 weeks instead of 2??????  Why?  Not sure.  I left my appt today with a lot of questions actually.  Although I think Dr. Chyu is very knowledgeable I do feel rushed in her presence and feel she is in hurry and doesn't explain things as well as I would like.  She is definitely more thorough than Dr Veille but I just can't help that nobody can compare to the care I get in San Francisco.  They just seem to be so much more thorough on their ultrasounds, they sit and explain all findings in detail and let you ask a multitude of questions.  They also seem soooo consistent when it comes to the values we have been getting every week.  When I go to Sacramento or Roseville we get such drastically different values week to week that I am skeptical about the accuracy of the findings.  I understand there can be error due to different sonographers and such but Baby A went from having 8 cm of fluid last week to about 5 this week.  Now this was explained to us by Dr. Chyu that it can be normal and isn't cause for concern.  She did however, see the drastic difference in numbers from a screen outside my room and came in to check for herself when she saw the numbers.  So it must have shocked her to some degree to come in right after that measurement was taken to check for herself.  In fact, she even said I couldn't believe what I saw so I wanted to check as well.  They were able to re measure a pocket that was measured originally at 4 and got a little over 5.  All of these numbers are normal but since it is so different than last week I was a little skeptical because the last 6 weeks we have been hovering around 10cm.  Im just worried that if it can go from -10 in one week down to 4-5 the next week that it can be seriously lower next week?????? It is possible things are just improving and that is great but when they say "oh we don't need to see you for another month" Im like HELL NO.  I may be over analytical and a debbie downer but I really need to feel that I am doing everything I can to ensure that weekly we check this.  I know I am not a Dr. but sometimes I feel brushed off when this was so extremely dangerous and possibly life threatening such a short time ago and now I feel like they are assuming everything will be hunky dory.  Good God I hope this is the case but one can never be to careful.  Better safe than sorry right?

So, the babies look good and each have a DVP of about 5cm.  This is fantastic and the bladders look great.  But now I have to wait another week to check the growth to determine if Baby B is still growing well and thriving.  I continue to be blessed and breath a little sigh of relief after hearing strong heartbeats and seeing fluid in the bladders.

Dr Chyu told us that the extra fluid that is now not there gets absorbed by me and by the baby. I asked if this was something we should be concerned with and she said no.  I didn't think to ask until we left about where it gets absorbed and at what point it is a problem?  I guess since she said it wasn't something to be worried about that I didn't think much else about it.  But after I left I started to wonder if it could be a problem for the girls if absorbed in and cause pulmonary edema or CHF etc.  Sometimes a medical background is not a blessing because you know just enough to stress yourself out but not enough to answer your own questions.  Ignorance is bliss....

I did stew over the appointment while on the car ride home and decided it could not hurt to call Dr. Rand in San Francisco and discuss my concerns over the fluid differences and hear what he thought about it. They are so great and even though he was in with another pt. the nurse talked to him about my situation and got a instant response.  He feels that it could be completely normal but that he would be skeptical at such a difference in one weeks time.  There really is no course of treatment about such a difference since it is in the normal range but is glad that I have an appt down there next week to check for himself. Me Too!!!!  The what ifs are just getting to me and I try so hard not to dwell on the well this could happen and that could happen but I can't help it.  I know we are in a fantastic place and the girls are looking great.  I NEED to focus on that and I tell myself all the time.  This is just very stressful when you don't have a see through belly and I cannot do anything to help.  The next 6 weeks will definitely go by so slow.  I will do my best to enjoy the quiet and rest.

I think the babies are getting bigger just from the way they move and how they are now positioned.  I feel punching and kicking very hard all the time and I am loving it.  I know they are doing good if they are kicking me awake at night. :) They also have been next to each other throughout the pregnancy but today we learned the Baby A on the left has pushed Baby B up on top and  breech transverse.  So Baby Bs head is on the Left as well and her body comes across the top of my belly and down my right side.  Hmmmm wonder if she will stay in this position or turn head down?  We shall see.

Ive been feeling ok.  Im having a hard time sleeping now and the fact that it is getting hot out does not help.  I try to go organize the spare bedroom and I have about 20 minutes of standing and bending before I need a break.  Its pretty crazy.  My back just starts to ache and I start to have some contractions and I feel it best to throw in the towel and rest.  I know the organizing can wait.  It may wait until the twins are 5 but it will still be there. haha.

I see my regular OB on Friday and I had my glucose tolerance test last Monday.  I assume I passed since it has been over a week with no phone call.  Im so glad because I was worried about that as well.

Next week we go to S.F. and this may be our last appt down there.  I am very grateful for the team down there and it is bittersweet to leave them.  I must trust that the Docotrs here have my girls and my best interest at heart.  I will keep fighting for them and I know they will keep fighting for me, Dad and big brother Cole.  Cole was excited to see the "baby beds" up in the girls rooms and then he comes over and pats my belly and say "hi sissys" "bye sissy's" and kisses them.  I look forward to him holding them and giving them love if even for 2 seconds before he smacks them with a toy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment