Thursday, June 28, 2012

The 34th Week events with L&D stay

It never fails that being pregnant with twins at 2 weeks before delivery that your doctor has to go out of the country for a week right?? And during that week what are the odds that something will make you need to be seen or visit L&D?  100% for this girl!  I saw Dr. Juhn and things were ok but she informed me that she would be in Korea until this Friday June 29.  She told me to be good and that I better be pregnant when she gets back.  Ha!! I said I would do my best but the girls may have other plans.

It seems as though every time I go to an NST I plan for not coming home afterwards.  My BP is always high and this results in a call to the on call doc.  Dr. Juhn did warn me that any other physician will be concerned about me if I go in the week she is gone and my BP is high.  Luckily my nurse who does my NST is usually always the same.  We both know that my initial BP will be high and that if we wait a few minutes and I tilt to my left side that it will come down.  So we just wait and then she can let the doc know it was initially high but it has come down and this is normal for me.  Since I have had a few 24 hour urine tests and quite a bit of PIH bloodwork (pregnancy induced hypertension) that they seem to be okay with sending me home.

On Sunday night however, my contractions decided to pick up in intensity and frequency.  I was having about 6-8 per hour and they were rather strong.  Not painful but my medication didn't seem to be affecting my contractions anymore.  I was taking it every 6 hours but I was told by my Dr. I could take it as often as every 4 hours.  I started to do this and it was not working so we thought I should go in.  Sure enough I was having more contractions than even I could feel.  My BP was high (shocker I know)  Dr. Scates who was on call came in and talked to me and said he wanted to check me because of how many contractions I was having. I was surprised to find out I was dilated to 2 already.  Surprised because 3 days earlier on my US my cervix was long, thick, and closed.  Needless to say I was admitted because they thought I was going into labor. They had the NICU team come and talk to me because if I was in labor the twins would have to go to NICU because they would be delivered prior to 35 weeks.  All babies < 5lbs or <35 weeks gestation must go to NICU for observation at least.  This of course scared the crap out of me as I was not anticipating delivery this day.  In turn, my BP was High due to this event.   They gave me more Nifedipene and kept me on a consistent every 4 hour regimen. They also gave me 3 liters of fluid which in turn made me swell up like a wood tick.    It has been 4 days since I was discharged and I still am more swollen than when I arrived Sunday night.  They actually did not want me to leave but really they were doing the same things I could do at home with the Nifedipene and monitoring my BP.  I probably slept 3 hours that night and I was incredibly uncomfortable. So I thought if I went home and slept I would feel a lot better. My contractions had slowed considerably.  I think the nurse talked the Dr. into letting me come home because she said I was pretty in tune to my body and she felt confident I would know when to return.  She said most of their patients don't quite know when they should come in and be seen and this results in either Pts coming in too late or when they do not need to.

Since my Discharge I have had 1 NST and 1 Dr. appt.  My NST was surprisingly uneventful and was super duper quick.  I was in and out in 45 min.  Record time for me.  The girls stayed on the monitor and both had 2 accels in the 20 min period. My BP was initially high but we used our method I discussed before and it worked well.  So I was off to home in no time at all.

I was supposed to see Dr. Scates on Wednesday as Dr. Juhn is out of the country. However, he was out  (not surprisingly) delivering a baby when I showed up for my appt.  He apparently tries to be at all his pts. deliveries even though it really inconveniences his pre natal pts.  I was able to see Dr. Khwong and she was great. She actually has Mono -di twins herself so she was on the up n up.  She also seems to have read my chart before she came into the room because she already knew about my stint in L&D.  This made me happy and impressed.  This appt ended up being long because my BP was (you guessed it ) high.  So I had to sit for 3 repeat blood pressures every 10 minutes to be sure it came down.  It did but not much.  I finally told her assistant "Thats about as good as you are going to get" and she then told Dr. Khwong and she said I could go.

That brings us to today.....So far things are uneventful at home and my symptoms that would signal a trip to L&D have subsided or have not showed up yet.  Im hoping we can make it another week.  I am so amazed we have made it this far and I know we are in a good place if delivery is today but as they say...1 extra day inside of me is 3 days less in NICU if need be.  So, 1 week of pregnancy could prevent 21 days in NICU potentially.  I just sit and try to pass the time.  I am trying to enjoy my last few days of peace and quiet but the anticipation is getting to me.  We will see how my NST goes tomorrow.  I have a pre-op appt on Monday for my C-section.  I see the perinatologist on Tuesday as part of my last 2 week growth check.  Wednesday is the 4th, Thursday is my last NST and Friday is BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment